From AUD $17,000.00
Saturn Series Full Function Preamplifer with Phono Stage
The Aesthetix Janus is a full-function all-tube preamplifier with six line level inputs and one phono input. The Janus represents the key features of Rhea phono stage and Calypso line stage combined into a single chassis. All tube amplification and output, a fully balanced line stage, discrete switched resistor volume control, versatile single-ended and balanced inputs and outputs, and dual-mono audio boards are all part of sophisticated Janus design. The full function remote controls all preamp and phono functions, including gain, loading, absolute phase and the internal demagnetiser. True to its Saturn Series heritage, the build and sound quality of Janus have won it global praise, including the 2010 and 2011 TAS Editor’s Choice Awards.
The Janus has the following features:
- Fully balanced differential line-level circuitry with ability to internally balance a single ended input signal.
- RCA and XLR provided for each input.
- Discrete resistor volume control with 88 1dB steps.
- Zero feedback.
- Phono input: 40-75dB gain maximum, selectable via front panel or remote control.
- Built-in MC cartridge demagnetizer.
- 9 MC loading settings: 75-47,000 ohms, selectable via front panel or remote control.
- All tube amplification and output (12 tubes total).
- Two sets of XLR and two sets of RCA outputs per channel.
- Bypass mode for home theatre processor throughput.
- Absolute phase, selectable via front panel or remote control.
- Full function remote included.
All of this attention to detail has resulted in a full-function preamplifier that transcends what is normally expected from an audiophile piece of equipment. The Janus scales heights that are normally the realm of uber-expensive products and it does it with ease. Sound quality is the prime objective here and the Janus is a phenomenal achievement. This value for money quality is spoken about in all the audio press and the Janus has accumulated many awards & accolades. These reasons are why Aesthetix products have developed a passionate following around the world.
Select a Specification to Suit Your Needs
The Janus is available in 3 versions, depending on the level of specification required.
- Tube linestage using high-grade Rel-Cap polypropylene coupling capacitors.
- Standard edition.
Janus Signature Series
- The Signature version uses custom-made inter-stage Teflon hybrid coupling capacitors, replacing the polypropylene units, between the gain stage and output stage (2 per channel). The change in these capacitors results in higher resolution, extension, less grain and more air. The 2uF output coupling capacitors (4 per channel) are replaced with 4uF Dynamicaps. This change provides more drive, bass extension, resolution and dynamics while also reducing grain.
- For the phono section, the Signature Version uses custom-made inter-stage Teflon hybrid coupling capacitors, replacing the polypropylene units, between the 2nd and 3rd gain stages(2 total per channel). The change in these capacitors results in higher resolution, extension, less grain and more air.
- The 2uF output coupling capacitors that drive the line section (2 per channel) are replaced with 4uF Dynamicaps. This change provides more drive, bass extension, resolution and dynamics while also reducing grain.
- Highly specialized adjustable air-core capacitors, used primarily in the radio-frequency realm, are installed and adjusted to “tweek” each unit to a rigid standard.
- The five rubber feet are replaced with Harmonic Resolutions Systems’ Nimbus Couplers specially made for Aesthetix (Earlier Signature Saturn pieces did not incorporate this, please contact Aesthetix for this free upgrade if you have an earlier Signature piece without the Nimbus Couplers). This change results in a lower noise floor and more air and space.
- The cost of these specialized parts alone is about 1/4 the manufacturing cost of a brand new unit! Any tubes that can be bettered by our special stock of graded and matched tubes are replaced. Any other improvements needed to make the unit current are installed, including software updates, etc.
- A new lens with “SIGNATURE” stencilled is installed. Each Signature unit undergoes rigorous test procedures and listening.
Janus Eclipse Series
- Internal changes to the Janus start with .22uF / 600v Stealth coupling capacitors used between the second and third gain stages, and the third gain stage and output stage of the phono section. Two more are used between the gain stage and output stage of the line section, per channel. Twelve of these exotic capacitors are used.
- There are four 2uF / 400v coupling capacitors used in each channel of the output stage of the Janus. In the Eclipse version, these are replaced with Stealth copper foil 4uF/400v, improving low frequency response.
- High frequency tuning capacitors are installed and hand-adjusted to tailor the frequency response to a tight .1dB standard (as also found on our Signature version).
- The high voltage transformer, heater transformer and high voltage choke are all re-installed on isolation mounts. Harmonic Resolutions Systems’ Nimbus Couplers specially made for Aesthetix replace the four rubber feet of standard units (as also found on the Signature version). The new power supply is installed with enhanced ventilation.
- Additional damping material is added to key chassis points.
- A single point ground system is used to ground the transformer cases as they are no longer electrically grounded to the chassis via physical contact due to their isolation mounts. All Eclipse Rhea, Calypso and Janus units receive a new power supply, which has been refined by improved trace routing to further reduce extraneous noise.
- Existing Janus units are factory upgradable to Eclipse specification.
|Item||Full function Preamplifier (with phono)|
|Inputs||1 phono RCA (SE), 5 line RCA or XLR (balanced), plus 1 tape, RCA or XLR|
|Outputs||2 RCA (SE) and XLR (balanced), 1 tape RCA|
|Phono Gain Settings||8 total; 75, 68, 62, 56, 50, 44, 38 dB, and off|
|Phono Load Settings||9 total; 47 K ohms, 10K, 5K, 2.5K, 1K, 500 ohms, 250, 125, and 75 ohms|
|Line Level Gain||23 dB single ended (SE), in/out, and 29 dB balanced/out|
|Volume Control||Switched resistor network volume control with 88 1 dB steps|
|Front Panel Controls||Main input, tape input select, volume, balance, phase, mute, display, bypass and standby|
|Remote Controls||Main input, tape input select, volume, balance, phase, mute, display, phono gain and loading, demagnetiser, bypass and standby|
|Frequency Response||±0.25 dB, 20 Hz – 20 kHz|
|Signal to Noise||Measured at 70 dB minimum A-weighted (ref 1 mv input, 75 dB gain setting)|
|Line Input Impedance||40 k ohms SE, 80 k ohms balanced|
|Maximum Line Input||3.5 volts SE, 7.0 volts RMS balanced|
|Output Impedance||1K ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced|
|Recommended Load||10K ohms or greater (SE), 20K ohms or greater (Balanced)|
|Tubes (per channel)||Phono section: V1 & V2 (12AX7-factory graded low noise), V3 (12AX7), V4 (6922/6DJ8); line section: V1 (12AX7 or equivalent), V2 (6922/6DJ8)|
|Power Consumption||20 watts standby, 120 watts active|
|Dimensions||457 (W) x 111 (H) x 457 (D) mm including jacks|
|Finish||Black or Silver|
|Warranty||3 years, non-transferable.|