150W Stereo Integrated Amplifier
The Mimas is an integrated hybrid amplifier intended for high performance audio and home cinema systems. Designed to bridge the gap between ultra-high performance separates and mass market receivers. Sound quality, ease of use, flexibility and reliability are hallmarks of the design.
The preamplifier section utilises one 6DJ8 (6922) vacuum tube per channel in a fully differential, balanced configuration. Borrowed from their Calypso preamplifier, this circuit will balance a single-ended input and provides voltage gain before the power amplifier section. This stage uses Roederstein plate load resistors from Germany, Reliable Capacitor coupling capacitors from California, USA, and a discrete solid-state current source. Tubes are burned in for over 100 hours before testing. Aesthetix’s tube testing regimen includes full FFT distortion analysis, gain matching to within .1dB, microphonics and noise levels.
For power amplification, they again looked to their existing industry standard products and borrowed a derivative of the output section from their Atlas amplifier. This power output section is fully discrete (no integrated circuits), fully differential, zero-feedback, DC coupled, balanced bridge output operating in Class AB. It is capable of 150W into 8 ohms, and nearly double into 4ohms, with both channels driven. Aesthetix painstakingly matches individual FET input devices and bipolar output devices, to ensure channel matching, linearity and stability driving any speaker load.
A key part of any Aesthetix piece is their devotion to overbuilt, advanced technology power supplies. The Mimas is no different, incorporating no less than seven fully regulated power supplies. Fundamental to any power amplifier, the high current power supply is provided by a separate center tapped transformer winding capable of 750VA and feeding 176,800uF of capacitance for a total energy storage of over 110 Joules. The high voltage supply for the vacuum tubes is a fully discrete regulated supply with over 220uF of capacitance supplied by a separate high voltage transformer winding. The Mimas’s input circuits are operated by a fully discrete regulated supply with over 4,400uF of supply capacitance. Vacuum tube heater supplies are fully DC regulated. The 900VA low flux power transformer, incorporating 5 separate secondary windings is designed and manufactured by Aesthetix in their facility in Moorpark, Ca.
Casework and industrial design has also been a hallmark of Aesthetix components. An all-aluminium machined enclosure manufactured in Santa Barbara, California provides the foundation for performance and cosmetic appeal. The transformer is shielded from sensitive audio circuitry by a stainless steel cover, further adding structure and rigidity. The faceplate incorporates 5 machined aluminium buttons, and a novel volume control interface is integrated in the display lens.
The Mimas contains a wide array of features in a deceptively simple design. All features are included in a no-compromise fashion; a feature is only included if it will not impede performance in any way.
- 5 inputs, both balanced and single ended. Whereas most companies offer 0, or perhaps one or two balanced inputs on their integrated amps, Aesthetix highlights its commitment to balanced technology by offering balanced (XLR) on each and every analog input.
- Headphone output: Standard headphone output is 1/3 watt into 32 ohms. As an option, a 1 watt into 32 ohms fully discrete, class A amplifier is optionally available. Headphone output is automatically selected when a headphone jack is inserted. Headphones or speaker is easily selected on the front panel or remote, allowing headphones to remain plugged-in if desired.
- Home theatre bypass. Each analog input can be defined as a home theatre bypass input, allowing easy incorporation into a more complex theatre system while maintaining pure two-channel sound quality.
- Preamplifier output. The Mimas contains an actively buffered preamplifier output, which can be used to drive a subwoofer or separate power amplifier. The preamp output is fully balanced, and available on XLR balanced jacks and single-ended RCA jacks.
- Display. The front panel display is based on static LED technology and has fully adjustable brightness and room light sensing. Fourteen element characters display the selected input name, and two larger seven element characters display the current volume.
- User convenience. Each input can be given its own 4-character name, defined as home theatre bypass, have an offset level to match other sources, set the input on or off. Headphones can be turned on or off in software, left / right balance, start-up level, maximum level, display settings, and factory pre-sets can be restored.
- Control. An IR extender is available on the back panel, using a 1/8″ stereo jack. This is useful in systems where the Mimas front panel IR receiver is not accessible, such as placed in an enclosed cabinet or separate room. RS232 is standardly available on a DB-9 connector.
- Such was the uncompromising sound quality challenges set for the Mimas that it took over 4 years to be developed. The wait was worth it as the Mimas is now considered to be one of the most accomplished sounding integrated amplifiers in the world. One of the major reasons for its special sound is that Aesthetix used the same volume control that is used in their award-winning Calypso. It consists of 88 1dB steps, utilising individual switched 1% metal film resistors. The volume control has long been considered one of the most difficult design challenges of a preamplifier, with more compromised designs utilising potentiometers or integrated circuit-based volume controls that deteriorate the sound quality.
Turn on the Mimas and a world of music enjoyment appears before you. The music flows through an expansive soundstage with freedom and agility. It has a very human element to the sound where things just sound real. It is intimate with an inner glow around the performance in one moment, expansive and wild in the next. This amplifier is a story-teller of the highest order and it feels like it is itching to tell you about the next piece of music, a real communicator of emotion and adventure. There is simply nothing like it anywhere near this price range. It is a true example of the stars aligning to create something rare and special…..or was that the moons of Saturn aligning? Heavenly!
The Mimas offers a wide array of options, allowing customisation to unique system configurations or user needs. Contact Nirvana Sound for details.
- Phono card
MM / MC phono input card, two inputs, fully discrete FET-based, high gain differential circuit utilising Wima film capacitors from Germany for RIAA and power supply bypass. Front panel and remote adjustable gain and loading.
- Digital to Analog card
2x RCA (coax), 2x TosLink (optical), 1x USB. 32KHz, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz (USB only), 384KHz (USB only); 16, 20, 24 bit depths; DSD64 (SPDIF and USB) and DSD128 (USB only). Fully balanced differential analog circuitry utilizing Wima film capacitors from Germany. USB utilizes Wavelength Technologies’ asynchronous implementation.
- High pass crossover
A hardware adjustable high pass crossover. This is ideal for systems using a subwoofer requiring the main speakers to be rolled off. Four crossover frequencies are available and adjusted in hardware: 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz. All slopes are 6dB. Custom crossovers are also available.
- Headphone amplifier
Mimas comes standardly with a 1/3 watt IC-based headphone amplifier. As an option, it can be configured (or added later) with a fully discrete Class-AB 1 watt into 32 ohm headphone amplifier. In addition to the amplifier, the headphone wiring is upgraded to Mogami.
- Upgraded Remote Control
Backlit, motion sensing, brushed aluminium remote control.
|Inputs||5 line RCA or XLR (balanced)|
|Volume Control||Switched resistor network volume control with 88 1 dB steps|
|Power Output||150W into 8 ohms|
|THD||<1% THD; 280W into 4 ohms, <1% THD, both channels driven|
|Rated THD at full power||<1%|
|Input Impedance||20Kohms single-ended, 40Kohms balanced|
|Bandwidth at full power||4 – 150kHz|
|Dimensions||43.4 x 44.9 x 14 cm|
|Finish||Black or Silver|
|Warranty||3 years, non-transferable|
The manufacturer reserves the right to change specifications without notice.