EMM Labs PRE2
The EMM Labs PRE2 embodies the recognition that the preamplifier is at the very heart of the music system and as such deserves the very best treatment because it handles every sound your system makes. Built on the heritage of the famous PA6i Meitner preamp, the PRE2-SE updates Ed Meitner’s classic to take a place at the forefront of 21st century preamp performance.
When exposed to the EMM Labs sound, critically acclaimed recording and mastering engineer Tom Jung said: “Ed Meitner is the only guy on the planet who has an equally good understanding of both digital and analog circuitry”.
The PRE2 features six analog inputs, a recording loop, infrared remote control and multichannel ganging. Most importantly, the PRE2 has become well known for its stunning transparency due to the extraordinarily sophisticated contactless switching system, discrete circuitry and the (proprietary) volume control. If desired, several PRE2s can be daisy-chained via serial control port to provide the purest multichannel preamplifier operation.
The PRE2 also features another EMM Labs innovation: aerospace-grade composite laminate circuit boards. These provide several performance advantages over conventional boards:
- Copper traces are microscopically smooth on top and bottom, significantly reducing skin effect issues.
- Naturally damped sandwich construction offers superior strength and vibration resistance.
- Lower dielectric losses and superior heat conduction ensure a more uniform temperature gradient across the circuitry, increasing stability and longevity.
All of this makes the PRE2 one of the most sophisticated solid-state analog preamplifiers ever created. This sophistication translates to an open, totally transparent sound where the preamp sonically disappears and allows the music to flow. You know that feeling when you discover a really ‘special’ audio component? Here’s the challenge…..use the PRE2 in your audio system and try…..just try to control your enthusiasm.
- Two XLR inputs, four RCA inputs, and one RCA Recording Loop
- 100% contactless, discrete, signal paths
- Clean Class-A power to drive cables and loads without degradation
- Proprietary software-based analog volume control
- Exclusive composite laminate circuit boards
- Multifunction infrared remote control
- Flexible LCD status and control display
- Serial port for wired remote control
- Daisy-chain expansion for multi-channel use
- Aero aluminium machined chassis
|Signal / Noise Ratio||110dB (A-weighted)|
|THD||1kHz <0.01%; 20kHz <0.01%|
|Gain control range||Better than 62dB|
|Maximum output level||21.9Vpp or 7.75Vrms (20 dBu)|
|Maximum input level||5.6Vpp or 2Vrms (8.2 dBu)|
|Input impedance||XLR – 20KΩ, RCA – 10KΩ|
|Output impedance||XLR – 150Ω, RCA – 75Ω|
|Stereo Analog Outputs||Balanced (XLR), Unbalanced (RCA)|
|Power Supply||Power Factor Corrected
Factory set to 100V or 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz
|Power Consumption||Max. 40W|
|Country of Manufacture||Canada|
|Dimensions||435mm (W) x 400mm (D) x 92mm (H)|
The manufacturer reserves the right to change specifications without notice.