Döhmann Helix Two Mk3 Power Supply
Reference Noise Suppression Power Supply
The Döhmann Audio Helix Two Mk3 has a new improved power supply. The previous Mk2 power supply was a very high-performance design that served the turntable well and initially, the Döhmann Audio team had no intentions to make any changes to it. In 2020, Döhmann Audio acquired a rare, state-of-the-art piece of test equipment which facilitated the analysis of the power supply to the turntable motor with unprecedented resolution. They explored the various types of electronic noise inherently present in such environments and discovered that on occasion, the Mk2 power supply would experience an EMF ‘back wave’ or reflection from the motor, which would in turn affect the power supply.
Döhmann Audio developed a new circuit that incorporated a specific capacitor bank and EFI suppression technology. They physically separated the DC and AC elements of the circuit with enhanced shielding and then listened to the old power supply vs the new power supply. The new design delivered an even more enjoyable listening experience where the music had slightly greater dynamic contrasting yet with an overall smoother, more natural presentation.
Features of the new Helix Two Mk3 Power Supply:
- New SupaCap capacitor power supply technology for fast DC low noise power delivery.
- Enhanced EMF control and handling.
- Enhanced RFI suppression featuring separate AC and DC mono blocks with shielded enclosures to remove intermodal noise artifacts.
- New power availability indication and lighting control.
- Gold pin XLR power connectors.
- New firmware and software-based motion control.
For owners of previous Helix Two turntable models, and who do not want to upgrade to a full Mk3 specification, this represents a great way to keep your Helix Two up to date with the latest power supply technology.